Trouble playing my mp3 files

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aurora72, Jun 7, 2010.

1. aurora72 macrumors newbie

Hello,

after I bought the iPad, I tried transferring and playing my mp3 files but it somehow refused downloading mp3 files! I guess it's intentionally blocked, am I right?

Now I wonder if it could be possible to download and play my own mp3s (which I've made from my own & original audio CDs) using any method such as jailbreaking? There's not much info on this in Google searches, really.

Thanks.

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Are you trying to not use iTunes? I don't understand.
    If your music plays in iTunes it should have no problem playing on the iPad.

3. aurora72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the comment. Well let me also talk about the more basic problem: I cannot even download a mp3 into my iPad on any website which contains mp3 files. I have my own website running on my LAN and which publishes mp3s and when I attempt to download any of them, iPad simply rejects them.

If iPad accepted the mp3 at this step, only then could I talk about using iTunes successfully.

I wonder if iPad counts .mp3 's as "forbidden files", i.e. just another restriction of Apple is it?

Thanks.

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

It's difficult to follow what your doing but the iPad will play mp3 files just fine.
    Plug it into iTunes and add any mp3 music file you would like to play.

The iPad does not allow you to download files from the web like a normal computer does. The file systems on the iPad is different and works differently.

5. wyneken macrumors regular

I think the "more basic problem" here is that you're trying to make this device do something it is simply not designed to do.

Like the iPod and iPhone, which use the same operating system, the iPad is designed to be a mobile device that depends on a conventional PC for certain functions, like creating and organizing a music library. This system may open up in future upgrades, so that the iPad becomes a more self-sufficient device, but for now, you need to manage your music collection on a computer and then sync whatever files you want with the iPad.

This has nothing to do with "forbidden files." The iPad fully supports mp3 files along with other audio formats. But you have to use the system the way it's meant to be used. Personally, I'd also like the ability to load music directly from the net onto my iPad. But it seems kind of pointless to try to do something that cannot be done and then complain about Apple restrictions.

All this information has been freely available for a long time, and could have been easily discovered before buying the iPad. But now that you've got it, why not enjoy it by using it the way it's designed to be used?

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

You can not download directly to the iPad.
    You will want to get the files on your computer and in iTunes first. Then sync them to the iPad.

Edit: sorry I left my browser on this page for awhile. I guess others answered in the mean time.
    Hope you get it figured out.

7. aurora72 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just gone through the iTunes & synchronization step and finally got what I wanted; after the "sync", the mp3s are now playing on my iPad. That's fine.

But, I 've gotta tell you why I ran into this kind of problem: I have never owned an iPhone (actually, I have never even touched it) I've got a WinXP Laptop, Mac mini and a SonyEricsson mobile phone, so I almost never used iTunes and its syncing. I have always played my mp3s by transferring them over USB , SD cards or Bluetooth. I couldn't use any of those 3 methods with the iPad and that's why I was left totally clueless when I could not listen to my mp3s on iPad.

It 's alright now.
    Thanks!

8. Yashu macrumors newbie

trouble playing my mp3 file on an i pad...

Hi I read all of these comments....and note that they were all written in 2010....Im wondering if things have changed since then ? Im wanting to play some mp3 directly from a website on my i pad and wondering if its possible now.... When I googled an MP2 music downloader app came up..... could someone please comment on whether this is now possible????? thanks so much :)

9. 343matt macrumors newbie

Safari Download Manager

Jailbreak (If your'e on 6.1.2 or lower) and install Safari Download Manager form Cydia. Is will let you download and play MP3 files.

10. philthebass macrumors newbie

Been looking for the answer to a problem with mp3's and iPads for a while and this thread came up in Google. Your comment above is of interest. Background: I run a church website from which people can download mp3 files of talks, etc. Only people who have iPads/iPhones appear to have any problems. The mp3 plays but stops after around 5mins and restarts from the beginning. Since I do not have an iPad I don't understand this. Is there a simple explanation of what's happening and what they have to do? Been struggling with this for over a year and really want to sort it!!