Trouble, please help with Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dj144lyons, Sep 9, 2009.

1. dj144lyons macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook, 13 inch, white. I am trying to hook it up to my Samsung LCD tv. I bought the mini DVI to DVI adaptor for Apple, and then bought a DVI to VGA cable.
    My laptop recognizes my Samsung, but the TV remains black. No picture whatsoever.

Any ideas how to make this work? I tried scolling through all the resolutions listed, but it did not seem to do anything.

Please help if you can.

Thanks!
    Dan

2. foodle macrumors 6502

This will not work. The mini DVI to DVI adapter only sends out DVI-D (the digital part of the DVI signal). The DVI to VGA cable strips out the digital part of the signal (the only part you have coming out of the adapter) and passes the analog part (which you don't have coming out of the adapter).

You need to get the mini DVI to VGA adapter and use a standard VGA cable.

3. SqB macrumors 6502

4. dj144lyons thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I will try that. Also, you know how the HDMI is better than composite, and composite is better than the yellow, red, and white cables, etc....

As far as VGA and DVI, is there a better one? My TV has a VGA, but I believe I can set it up as Min DVI to DVI adaptor..........then a DVI to HDMI to the TV.

Is one better than the other? Also, when I use the Mini DVI to VGA, and then a straight VGA cable, do I need to hook up audio too, or is the VGA like HDMI where it is video and audio togethrer?

Thanks!
    Daniel

5. foodle macrumors 6502

DVI/HDMI will be better than VGA, since DVI/HDMI is digital all the way to the TV.

VGA does not carry audio. But then again, neither does DVI, so even though HDMI can, your HDMI derived from a DVI signal will not have audio.