Trouble recognizing a new External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alembic54, Jan 6, 2008.

1. alembic54 macrumors newbie

I am a long time musician and audiophile. I Have 6 external hard drives of varying sizes that are filled with all kinds of music, many of which are live recordings. I have never had any problems when I've purchased HD's. The six that I have all were bought when I used a PC. I've had no issues with them on my new 21 inch IMac. Today, I got a hard drive in the mail from my cousin which I want to fill up for him. ( No worries the music I have has been downloaded from legitimate sights like bt.etree and dimeadozen which are LEGAL).

I hooked his Maxtor up and now I can't transfer any files on it. I keep getting an error message that says the drive can not be modified. (though it's empty) I clicked get info on the drive and see that it's format is a Windows NT File System. How can this be tweaked to work on myIMAC. All my old HD's that i used for years with my PC work fine on the IMAC. Is the drive defective?

Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, but I'm stumped and maxtor's Tech support isn't open on the weekends.

Thanks for listening.

Jeff

2. alembic54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Found the answer! Apple Disc Utility. Works like a charm.