Trouble recovering hidden files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wee Beastie, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Hail, good friends!

I just temporarily returned to Tiger from Leopard, due to a desire to use a piece of equipment that does not yet have drivers for Leopard. I did an archive and install with the Tiger disk (the one that came with my computer). I have recovered my old files from the 'previous systems' folder without problems. Thing is, I had a couple of hidden folders that I did not make visible before the installation of Tiger. I have poked around, and run searches for the folders ".filename" and their content to no avail. Any suggestions on how I might recover these folders? Thanks!

weeeeeeeeeeee
    beastie

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

with TinkerTool, including the download time, you should have those files visible in under 3 min.

3. Wee Beastie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I will check it out!

4. ncprius macrumors newbie

EasyFind free from devon-technologies.com (10.3,10.4,10.5)

You can't easily use the Finder to copy or move files that are hidden from the Finder (duh.) It's fairly easy from the Terminal command line with cp and mv commands, especially with tab autocomplete.

If the command line is not for you, to at least see what files are hidden, try great GUI utility called EasyFind free from devon-technologies.com

http://www.devon-technologies.com/download/

It is fast because it is a gui wrapper for underlying unix commands (and makes no use of spotlight indexes). It has a powerful advanced mode, too. Long recommended for folks who wanted something to Find files in a simple way (similar to Search in Windows or like the Finder did before Spotlight).
    It's been a reliable often used tool for me in 10.3, 10.4 and now 10.5.

Most often I use wildcards (that is an asterisk). You can easily find all files and folders your home directory that start with a dot, searching for ".*".

More examples:

com.apple.* (starts with com.apple)
    *.conf (ends with .conf)
    *cups* (has "cups" anywhere in name)