Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ark.public

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
So this was my first time reformatting and reinstalling OS X. My gfs macbook had been running particularly slug-ish and full of bs so she asked me to reformat it. I booted from the mac osx 1 cd, ran disk utility, zeroed out the drive... all was going well. I started up the installer, it began to install normally. Randomly, i received an error saying that i the disk was scratched/something of the sort (i can give exact error later) and that the process could not continue. This seemed odd to me as the disks had never been used or removed from their protective cases. I was unable to manually eject the disk from the keyboard, so i force ejected it by rebooting and holding down the mouse. I cleaned the disk, reformatted again (zeroed). I tried to start the installer and came to the same problem.

It gives me the option to quit the installer or continue/skip error. I tried skipping once and after about 3-5 minutes i was sent back to the pick your language screen.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

ARK

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
So this was my first time reformatting and reinstalling OS X. My gfs macbook had been running particularly slug-ish and full of bs so she asked me to reformat it. I booted from the mac osx 1 cd, ran disk utility, zeroed out the drive... all was going well. I started up the installer, it began to install normally. Randomly, i received an error saying that i the disk was scratched/something of the sort (i can give exact error later) and that the process could not continue. This seemed odd to me as the disks had never been used or removed from their protective cases. I was unable to manually eject the disk from the keyboard, so i force ejected it by rebooting and holding down the mouse. I cleaned the disk, reformatted again (zeroed). I tried to start the installer and came to the same problem.

It gives me the option to quit the installer or continue/skip error. I tried skipping once and after about 3-5 minutes i was sent back to the pick your language screen.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

ARK

Are there scratches on your restore discs (this could be your problem)? If not, when you boot to the restore disc, use the disk utility again and erase the hd and see if you can run the repair option (you could also try to partition the HD again). Once done, try and reload the OS. I have not encountered the error you are talking about, anyway, try my suggestion or maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Randomly, i received an error saying that i the disk was scratched/something of the sort (i can give exact error later) and that the process could not continue.

So the disk is scratched, try cleaning it, otherwise call Apple and ask for replacements.

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
why dont you look at the discs and see if they have any scratches?
apple will replace them if they do
otherwise maybe it is just the optical drive not working properly

ark.public

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
So the disk is scratched, try cleaning it, otherwise call Apple and ask for replacements.

I did clean it with a lens cloth. I will try cleaning it again with a disc cleaner. Ill also try repairing the hd in disk utility. Should I reformat again before i do anything. Also, when i go start the installer, should i choose that option that says install os x for the first time or do a choose erase and install?

Thanks for the quick replies.

ARK

ark.public

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Try that.

The problem is the optical discs not the HD in this case, OS X checks the DVDs before installing the OS, and in this case clearly found they were scratched.

Ok. I should still zero out the drive though again before i start installing correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.