Trouble Restarting from Windows 7 Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Saladsamurai, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

Recently installed win 7 using boot camp on my late '06 MBP. I know it's not officially supported and all, but this seems like pretty basic functionality that would have carried over from vista.

When I try to reboot from the windows partition, it just shuts down (mostly). By that I mean everything seems to be off except for the fans. In order to complete the shutdown (which really should be a restart) and kill the fans, I have to press the power button once. Then it is just off. No restart.

Anyone else with this problem?

2. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone else have this problem? I was hoping to resolve it without a reinstall. But perhaps that would be the best 1st guess at a solution.

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Wow, that's really weird. So you're in Windows and want to restart (to go back into Windows I assume?). And instead of just restarting, everything seems to turn off except the fans? Is there just a black screen or is the screen off altogether?

4. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

It seems like everything but the fans is off, but I think I missed a detail. I went home yesterday and booted into windows and again tried to restart. It seems like it is 'trying' to restart. I can tell because the cd drive makes that obnoxious noise. That must be when the fans come on...but then nothing. And then a simple push of the power button silences the fans.

Weird...

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Very strange indeed. So the "nothing happens/blank screen" stuff occurs after the optical drive makes the noise? Because usually that would imply it has restarted. I'd be curious as to what the people at the Genius Bar in the Apple stores have to say about that.

6. Confuzzeled23 macrumors regular

Hey,
    I have finally found someone that had the same problem as me. lol. I had this problem, and it was really nerve wracking because I thought Windows was hurting my Mac. However, I fixed it by updated the Nvidia graphics driver with the newest one. This fixed all my sleep/shutdown problems. However, I see that you are using a late '06 model, therefore I am unsure if yours runs using Nvidia etc. I am using a early '09 Macbook Aluminum. But I guess you could try getting the latest updates from the manufacturers website. That's where I got the latest drivers for mine.
    Hope this fixes your problem!

7. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting! I will try installing new drivers. I don't know what kind of graphics card I use. I am a little embarrassed to day this, but I have had the MBP for ~4 years and really don't know that much about it. I am only now, in the last couple of weeks, really attempting to learn more about it.

I think I found it under the :apple: menu -->about this mac-->more info-->graphics/displays-->ATI Radeon X1600

8. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Not sure if you're running 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7, but here's the latest ATI drivers for both (they say Vista on them, but they should work just fine).

32-bit
    64-bit

9. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thanks! I'll try this after work :) If this fails, I will probably try a fresh install. I might even go VM Ware since I can get it on the cheap since I'm a student.

10. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

meh. No luck with the driver. I will try a fresh install this weekend. If that does not work, I'll give VM Ware a shot.