trouble restarting!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Smyth, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Smyth macrumors newbie

my mac book will not re-start any more! these are the messages i get any no what the problem is and how to fix it? thanks

Attached Files:

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Click the apple icon in the top of the task bar (opposite end of the clock, blue apple).

Select "force quit"

OR just hit Command+Option+Escape to bring it up.

Check the list for apps that are "not responding" and force them to quit.

EDIT: You may have some serious problems if finder and software update failed like that. Try to reboot, if it persists, try repairing disk permissions in disk utility (found in Applications/Utilities folder)

3. Smyth thread starter macrumors newbie

the thing is the are no programs running in force quit but it runs fine i will try what you said thanks

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

If there are no unresponsive applications. maybe there are unresponsive processes stopping the shutdown.

In the same folder as Disk Utility, there is another app called "Activity Monitor" get it to show ALL processes, and check the list. They should be red and probably say "not responding". If that is the case, there is definitely a problem.

try to repair permissions, get it to reboot, see if that helps.

5. Smyth thread starter macrumors newbie

i repairing disk permission and then tryed to shut it down but this came up i went on to the activity monitor and there are no unresponsive processes is there any thing else i can do
    thanks for the help

Attached Files:

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

wow seems like you have some serious problems. Do you have a lot of hard drive space left? also how much RAM do you have? (Click the apple button in the task bar, "about this mac" )

I suggest you back everything up as a security measure, incase it needs to be formatted or something happens.

Try to Reset the PRAM (do a hard restart if you have to, hold power down until it shuts off)

If a PRAM reset doesn't help, go into system preferences, and create a new user account, try to restart of log out, and log in on the new account. This will verify if it is a system wide problem or not.

If the problem persists, do an AHT

Click "extensive test" and let it do its thing.

7. Smyth thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the help it looks like its sorted i reseted the pram as you said and it looks to have worked!
    thanks again

8. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Did you try the "Force Quit" that was suggested?

No need now. I posted this before reading to the end... Oh well

9. killswitch1698 macrumors regular

You cant force quit finder...you can only restart it....which is the problem hes having lol

Smyth i dunno why its reading it as an app...when that pops up it doesnt say that to me...so i dunno...get support from an apple store? im pretty sure it wont cost you....my mac was corupted once from one of my family members quiting in the middle of a software update and all the apple store did was put my data on a external hardrive, and reinstalled the OS free of charge...i dunno if thats the case for you but i would bring it to apple just incase

10. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

technically no you can't "quit" it, but it would display in the list just like any other app, and say "relaunch" when you click it instead of "force quit"

at least that's what it does on Tiger, I'd have to assume it also does so on leopard but I can't be sure. .