Trouble restoring after i0s5 update -- manual restore possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eljimmyjim, Oct 13, 2011.

1. eljimmyjim macrumors newbie

Hello all.

So, like everyone else, I updated my software last night, but am now left with a blank phone after it continues to fail to restore over and over and over. I keep receiving the message "an error occurred while restoring this iPhone (-1)" and "iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred". Then, my iPhone will shut itself off, reboot and I will then get the message, "iTunes was interrupted while restoring the contents of the iPhone. would you like to restore this iPhone again now?". I have the option to "cancel", "delete backup" and "continue restore". Every single time, for the last eight hours or so, when I click "continue restore", it will begin to restore, telling me that it has about 3 or 4 minutes left and, as soon as the bar hits - maybe - 10%, it crashes and my iPhone shuts off again.

So, my question is, what is the solution? Last night, prior to installing the software, I manually extracted all of my files (i0s files, applications etc.) and saved them into a folder on my Mac. Is there anything I can do with these files? Can I manually restore my phone using these files? How do I use the "sqlitedb" (spelling?) file for my contacts? It really isn't prudent of me to have a blank phone and I'm really just becoming angrier and angrier about the whole ordeal.

Thanks for any help you may be able to afford.

2. eljimmyjim thread starter macrumors newbie

3. SmurfQueen macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem... Do you know of a way to fix it yet?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Put the phone in DFU mode, Itunes will detect it and tell you that your phone is in recovery mode, hit okay, then Option + restore and point it to OS5 firmware.

5. SmurfQueen macrumors newbie

I did that and got error -2 instead of -1