Trouble restoring. Edited host file

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gravytrain84, Oct 11, 2010.

1. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I keep getting an error when trying to restore, I believe my problem Stems from me editing the host file previously when restoring 4.0.1, how do I get back to that host file to "un-edit" ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cap41 macrumors 6502

make sure any line with gs.apple.com XXXXXXXXX is either deleted or commented out "#" put a number sign in front of any of those lines. I had 2. fixed up the problem for many on this site.

3. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I'm a rookie with all this, how exactly do I get back to the host file? It's been a while since I've edited. Running Mac OS btw. :D

4. Cap41 macrumors 6502

5. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Thanks fellas. I'm hoping this will fix the problem, gonna try it when I get off of work.

6. Cap41 macrumors 6502

Let us know results,

Tmar, posting a link to goggle is a waste of time and bandwidth. People ask questions here because they dont know. Telling them to use google is pointless and a waste of time. Just because the solution is simple to you. Its not to others. I get help here all the time. Some of my questions are simple and noobish. But guys make the effort to help. So when someone asks a question that i can answer, I try and help.

Plus when your sitting with a phone stuck in DFU mode. You, like me are in a state of panic. You hit refresh all the time on thread to see if someone can help.

Sarcasm, use google, search forum comments really waste everyones time.

THey also use up bandwidth in non productive way. Answer the question or do not. Everything else is just mindless waste of everyones time.

7. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Thanks for your ceremonious waste of time speech. I answered the question right there, one click away. An no, I don't panic doing anything to the phone, why would I? Working on an almost unbrickable phone isn't very stressful.

8. Cap41 macrumors 6502

So we have established you don't panic. and feel no stress when working with an Iphone. That sentiment is not shared by all. Just answer the question. A link to google is not an answer.

Your link was to Google, how did that answer the question?

9. Kayan macrumors 6502

This is funny, where's that "kre" guy that always says that no one EVER has problems editing the hosts file and that TinyUmbrella is so much harder...Haha, now I'm sure he'll deny ever saying that and he'll say, "Well, there's still less problems with editing the hosts file than dealing with TU..." Not so friend, just because you may or may not see as many threads regarding the hosts file does NOT imply that TU has more problems, its just simply that more people ask about their problems on the forum because they know they'll get answers. And maybe it's the case that people try the hosts file method, then get confused or mess up, then they try TU and have a question so they post it.

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

Here I am bro.

Editing a text file is the easiest way to go. If a person can't edit a text file they have no business jailbreaking. In this case the op simply forgot the location of the file. It's not like he doesn't know how to edit it. This is a far cry from errors new tu users encounter.

11. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

It was very easy to edit the file, I honestly forgot that I had done it and realized it after I kept getting errors when trying to restore last night.

Eta: as for all the google links flying around lately, wocka wocka, that little joke stopped being funny about a year ago... I understand it makes you feel better about yourself but stop filling up threads with that garbage, people are on this board for a reason, to get help and share info. Don't be a douche

12. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Alright, I followed the steps on iclarified like I did the first time I edited, excpet this time it does not let me save the un-edited host file... Its telling me I do not have the privilege... I'm not quite sure whats going on with my imac, itunes is acting up, tiny umbrella does not open, and it keeps saying error messages about an "itunes helper"... No idea what itunes helper is, I did a search for it and it doesnt pull up on finder.

13. Cap41 macrumors 6502

You need to save the file to your desktop. Than drag it back to the /etc folder. It will ask you to authenticate and then to replace existing file. make sure you comment out the the right lines.

14. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Do you think thats what causing the TU problems? Have you ever heard of a itunes helper??? No idea where that came from?

15. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

It was a link to a search with a list of links all with the answer on them, it didn't just point to google. Do yourself a favor and don't bother telling me to 'just answer the question'. If you don't like my answers ignore them and if you can't manage that then find some other way to feed your need to preach because this isn't the place.

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

was it error 1015? if so just kick it out of recovery mode