Trouble restoring iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tlr, Apr 28, 2011.

1. tlr macrumors newbie

Long story short, my iPhone 4 was stolen a week after I got it last June, and miraculously the police found it and returned it to me this week.

When I turn it on it goes into recovery mode. I of course tried to restore using iTunes (10.2.2-12) and the latest iOS firmware. No luck. I initially got error code 2001, then 2006. In recovery mode I always get one of those two erros.

Next I tried putting it on DFU mode and doing the restore. Same thing but with error code 1611. In DFU mode I always get error 1611.

Any suggestions on what to try? I have no idea what the thief did to the phone. It was an AT&T phone stolen in Europe, so I suspect they tried to jailbreak/unlock it and failed.

Is it possible it's totally bricked, or are there more advanced ways to restore it?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

There's some information about these specific error codes on this support article. Errors 2001 and 2006 suggest USB connection issues, but 1611 is labeled as a hardware fault. You are under the 1 year limited warranty, so unless you think the thieves took it apart or did something else to void the warranty you should be alright to exchange it through Apple.