Trouble Restoring WinClone (Vista) Backup

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cameronhuang, Jun 21, 2009.

1. cameronhuang macrumors newbie

Hi all

I used WinClone to save a Vista backup on my external drive (Mac formatted), removed the Vista partition using Boot Camp, recreated a new partition using Boot Camp, and then attempted to restore my Vista backup using WinClone.

(When I recreated a new partition using Boot Camp, I left it as FAT32. I didn't use a Windows CD to change it to NTFS, because I believed WinClone does it for you automatically.)

Picture 1.png

When I tried to restore my backup, WinClone gives me an error message (click on the thumbnail below for full-sized version). I have no idea what went wrong. Can anyone suggest a solution for me please? Thank you.

Picture 3.png

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I yesterday used Winclone successfully for cloning my Windows Vista 64-bit installation from my MacBook's previous internal hard drive (that now, put inside an enclosure, functions as my external back-up drive) back to my new internal hard drive. The only thing I did differently from what you did, is first using my Vista installation dvd to format the Boot Camp partition as NTFS.

So I'd say try that. I'd be surprised if that wouldn't also work for you.