Trouble ripping DVDs, but not BDs

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Michael CM1, May 12, 2014.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yes, you read the title right. I've been able to rip most all of my BDs to store in my iTunes library without much trouble. I got a $40 external BD reader, got the right software (MakeMKV, HandBrake) and figured out a formula that works.

But I haven't had much success with DVDs lately. I got my mom a couple of older shows and wanted to rip them so she could watch either the discs, via her Apple TV or load a few onto her iPad. The iMac DVD drive spit the disc out after about 15 seconds. The external BD drive read the disc, but I got all sorts of error messages when going through MakeMKV. When just using Fairmount, it found a ton of cell errors, which is usually a copy protection thing. But unlike before when running into that, I couldn't copy squat.

I've also had similar trouble ripping a few of my DVD movies that I haven't gotten to yet. Is this a situation for anybody else? Part of me wonders if my iMac's DVD drive just doesn't work. I seem to recall it having issues but I haven't needed to use it in forever. I have a PC notebook that I might try this on, but I just haven't tried anything like that on it.

2. mic j macrumors 68030

A long time ago, I had similar ripping problems when my drive started to go south. But it would be very bad luck for both your Mac and external drive(which I presume to be newer) to go south at the same time. And MakeMKV should have absolutely no trouble decrypting a dvd. I would try the PC and if you don't have it already get a trial of AnyDVD to decrypt the disc. If AnyDVD has issues with the discs, I would suspect the discs themselves. If everything goes ok on the PC side, I would suggest getting a new external drive from a place where it is easily returned. Try it out an if it solves the problem, keep it. If the problem persists, return the drive and focus on the discs themselves as the source of the problem.

3. JAT macrumors 603

Have you searched for issues with those particular discs? Ripping has always been weird.

I've found that Apple's recent slot-load drives always crap out well before they ought to, it's very disappointing. The external is definitely the right kind of solution...usually.

4. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

I have found that as well. I thinking I might've had that one replaced before under warranty. I have tried this with multiple discs and just had tons of trouble with DVDs but almost none with most BDs.