Trouble running new Samsung in new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cineapple, Feb 11, 2008.

1. cineapple macrumors regular

I (finally) received the new mac pro, and just tried installing the Samsung F1 Drive that has been waiting in the sideines for this Mac Pro. When I installed the drive and boot up the Mac, it hangs in the opening apple logo screen with the swirling . So I had to finally cut power and shut down.
    I took the drive out again, re-inserted it, my mac starts up fine, and I even had a chance to format the drive. I did it as OSX extended (journaled) is this correct?
    Then I restarted, and am getting the hang-up on the start-up screen again. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to set the jumper cables? I can't seem to find them if so, please help!?!

2. Random Chaos macrumors member

Could be a bad drive. Hold down Command-V during startup and see what it stalls on.

And yes, OSX extended (journaled) is fine.

3. aibo macrumors 6502

4. Random Chaos macrumors member

Those bad drives shouldn't affect the Mac Pro. Specifically, they are caused by the Via and one other chipset in combination with the Samsung. It's apparently an SATA implementation bug that for some reason affects the Samsung drives on only two chipsets.

Mac Pros use the Intel chipset, which has no issues with the Samsung drives.

5. cineapple thread starter macrumors regular

So nothing else I can really do but return the drive?

6. Random Chaos macrumors member

You said you formatted the drive, right? That means the drive did work at one point. Did you make any changes to your system files after installing the drive, like trying to move swap off onto the new drive (I've personally found that will sometimes hang the boot process)?

I really suggest you use Command-V and check what it hangs on.

You can also try booting off your Mac OSX DVD (eject the drive by holding down the mouse button; boot on it by holding down C) and run Disk Utility from there (it's hiding in one of the menus). It could be there are other issues. You might also try a permissions verification on your boot drive...something could be messed up.