Trouble Sending PM

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by bunnspecial, Mar 8, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I just spent a few minutes typing up a response to a PM I'd received, and saw the below page when I attempted to respond.

I've sent hundreds of PMs on this site, and exchanged multiple PMs with this particular member(he is one of my friends on the site). I had originally included a link to a page at OWC(which I wouldn't think would be a problem) in my PM. I tried deleting the link and resending, but still got the same error.

Any idea about what's going on?

Attached Files:

2. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Okay, to extend things a little bit further-

I was just able to reply to a different member without any trouble.

I tried answering the initial PM that prompted this post again, and got the same error as pictured. I tried sending a new PM to that member(not replying to the existing one) and got the same response.

As I said, the member I'm having trouble sending a message to is on my friend list, and is someone with whom I've exchanged a number of PMs in the past.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Send me a PM with the name of the member you are trying to message and I'll ask the site admins to take a look at this for you.

4. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have done so. Please let me know if for some reason it didn't come through.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We have the information we need for now, and we're looking into it.

6. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

This same issue popped up again a few minutes ago when I was attempting to post a new thread.

Attached Files:

7. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I finally got the thread posted, but ended up doing it piece-meal.

It would give me the above error when I posted about buying RAM. I tried to past that section of the post here, but it also kicked back the same error. I did originally mention a well-known company that supplies parts for old(and current) Macs, but edited the statement I made to exclude a vendor reference. I finally had to reword it completely to get it to go through.

In any case, the original PM that started all of this also mentioned the same vendor as a potential source for a replacement battery. I'm wondering if that's the issue, although I've seen the vendor mentioned plenty of times on this website.

8. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Can one of the mods/admins provide some insight as to why the below block of text might be found to be objectionable by the forum software?

Attached Files:

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just to confirm, you are using the same machine with Firefox from the previous screenshot?

So you cannot make a forum post that mentions OWC and if you remove OWC, it goes through?

What's up with the green text underlines in your screenshot there? I wonder if you have some sort of adware installed that is causing the green underlines and also this posting problem?

10. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Yes, this is all happening on the same computer-a Macbook Pro running 10.9. I tried the same post with Safari, and got the same error.

The green underlines are because after the post didn't go through, I copied and pasted it into Word. I spent a long time writing it, so didn't want to lose it. The above screen cap was taken in Word. I tried copying and pasting it into this post, and it was still kicked back.

At one point, I'd edited that block of text to omit the mention of OWC-I just changed to say something like "these are available online" without referencing a specific vendor. I finally edited it to read

And it went through.

Here's the full post

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1865395

At this point, I'm just curious about why the above text caused the issues I was having.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Odd. As you see, I can mention OWC with no issues.

Doctor Q is subscribed to your thread here, so let's see if he has any ideas. I have not seen reports from anybody else with this issue though.

12. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks-as I said at this point I'm more curious about what of the above was triggering this error so that I can avoid it in the future.

I thought it might be something to do with OWC, since the PM that gave me trouble a while back also discussed them as a source for a replacement battery. Obviously, mentioning OWC itself isn't a problem, as you and I both have mentioned them numerous times in this thread.

I can't imagine that listing the specifications for RAM and mentioning how many I was going to buy would be an issue either, unless I'd inadvertently tripped some sort of spam filter or something in the way I phrased it.

13. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I saw a similar error(although I hit the back button before I thought to screen cap it) when trying to edit a Wanted to Buy post to WTB(ended). The edit did go through, but I still saw the error message.

Here's the thread in question.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1858374