Trouble Setting Up Bootable USB drive

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Visionblue, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Visionblue macrumors member

I recently purchased an 8GB flash drive in an attempt to create a bootable install disk for Mavericks.

I've attempted several times to format it via Terminal & Disk Maker X but it keeps failing. I've been using this prompt:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

The message from terminal reads:

Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 5.28.52 PM.png

In Disk Maker the disk keeps ejecting randomly without warning.

I've formatted the disk with Disk Utility to mac os x (journaled) each time as well.

Any suggestions?

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

You may just have a bad flash drive. I have a 4 USB flash drives that I use mainly and 1 of them works perfectly for storage but no matter what I do I can not use it as a bootable flash drive, for Windows or Mac.
    It formats fine, I do my same steps as with my other drives but for some reason it just will not work.

A friend of mine had the same problem after building a brand new computer for him, he bought an inexpensive 8GB drive from Staples and I created an install disk, it would get to different stages of install or just wouldn't work at all.
    HOURS of troubleshooting later I just thought to try a different thumb drive and it worked the 1st time. Now I keep 2 bootable flash drives.

3. Visionblue thread starter macrumors member

I suppose that's a consistent theme with my other eBay electronic purchases. Literally just about every electronic component I've ever purchased off of eBay has refused to work straight out of the box! I guess I've learned my lesson now.

Do you have a particular brand of flash drive you recommend? I don't live near any sort of chain retailer so pretty much all purchases I make for computer components are made online.

4. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I'd like to say yes but only on more expensive drives if I buy the inexpensive drives, less than $15/8GB it is a toss up, it could be fine or it could be trash.
    This has been with Corsair, Patriot though SanDisk have been more consistent for me though.
    I'd check Amazon or NewEgg though, Amazon has a good return policy, especially if you happen to be a Prime member still good either way. Just keep the box it is shipped in, if something happens to be wrong with it, you can go back on Amazon and say you want to return the product and print out a return label.