Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al2813

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Belgium
the ipod in my wife's car is dead so decided to set her up on my Apple Music account which i turned into a family plan. Was a bit hard to setup, but finally i more or less got it to work. I first opened an apple id for her on the phone, than moved to my Mac, and setup the account from there. My Apple music library was available to her on itunes logged in on her ID, and once the Mac spent a long time doing whatever it was doing on icloud (does it upload the library AGAIN?), I could see the playlists and the songs on the phone.

So far so good, but when I started the (tedious) task of downloading the songs to the phone (no way of asking the app to download the entire library at once?), i noticed immediately that the phone app music library has only a third of the songs. any idea why? How can I troubleshoot this?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
So far so good, but when I started the (tedious) task of downloading the songs to the phone (no way of asking the app to download the entire library at once?), i noticed immediately that the phone app music library has only a third of the songs. any idea why? How can I troubleshoot this?
You can easily download the entire library with one click on the phone: Simply set up a playlist in iTunes and add all songs (or only the ones you want on the phone) to the playlist. Wait until the playlist appears on the phone, then download the entire list by tapping the button at the top.

al2813

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Belgium
Reviving this thread. I tried following up the advice from Rigby. I created a play list called "everything" to which I added all 3400+ songs in my current library. I got the following error:

"The playlist “everything” can’t be added to your iCloud Music Library. iCloud Music Library playlists can only include music from your iCloud Music Library. This playlist can’t be uploaded because it includes other media kinds or songs that are not eligible."

My icloud music library indeed includes my original itunes library to which I added overtime songs from apple music I added to my library.

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.