Trouble setting up Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by swinler, Nov 1, 2012.

1. swinler macrumors newbie

I just bought a time capsule to use for TM backups as well as attaching USB external drives as a network storage solution.

However, I am having trouble getting it to work properly. I have 3 macs + ATV at home, all connected through Ethernet, as well ipads and iphones.

The issue I'm having is that I can create the wifi network and the devices can access it and see each other, but the Time Capsule won't connect to the internet.

I played with some of the settings and managed to get it to connect, but then only the wireless devices could access the internet and the internal network.

Also, I note that the when it does connect, the router has an IP address starting 176.xxx.xx.xx rather than 192.xx.xx.xx Is this normal.

So far this device hasn't lived up to the "it just works" mantra of Apple, so if anyone could give me advice on how best to set this up, I'd be most grateful.

2. swinler thread starter macrumors newbie

Should also have clarified that I intend to use the TC as the only router in my network. Connected to my cable modem by ethernet cable into the WAN port.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Typically you connect a TC ethernet port to the WAN port of your cable modem or DSL modem. If that does not work, like you have the wrong port selected on one either...or....a reverse Ethernet cable where where is not needed....or...a bad cable or port.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you reset the cable modem after you connected the Time Capsule? You will need to do this for the cable modem to issue an IP to the Time Capsule.