Trouble setting up wireless for Brother HL-2170...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by survive, Aug 6, 2010.

1. survive macrumors newbie

Can't seem to find a way to get the wireless feature of this Brother HL-2170W Printer working. It prints fine using the USB cable. A bit frustrated that spent the extra $$ for wireless feature that I can't get to work.:confused:

I have a Mac OS X Version 10.6.4

Would appreciate any help/ advice you can give. Thanks!

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Just follow the directions in the user manual, even if they're referencing (I think - I don't have the manual here) OS X 10.3.

I was able to get my 2170W up and running wirelessly in less than 5 minutes.

Of course, it's wireless-b so slows the whole network down, so I usually keep the printer turned off until I need it - wireless means I can keep it in the basement and not clutter up our living space, but needs two trips to it when printing.

http://download.brother.com/welcome/doc002311/cv_hl2170w_eng_nug_A.pdf - page 47

3. survive thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried using the manual, but I can seem to find the "essential file" There is supposed to be a "How to " file on the disk "RPC" which has a pdf file that take you through the process. Well I can't find it and I've looked dozens of times.

It is supposed to be in the window right after you click the icon on the desktop itself. Well the icon isn't there?????:confused:

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The link I provided walks you through the setup.

5. mazstar1980 macrumors member

Could someone who has had success with getting this to work on 10.6.4 please outline an easy step-by-step process on getting this frigging printer to connect?

I have obtained an IP address for the printer but it is in a different range than that of my router. My router is 192.168.XXX and the printer is 169.254.XXX - so I cannot connect to the web interface.

I have created an open network called SETUP on channel 11. I have reset the damned thing many times and to no avail. I have set to latest firmware and drivers.

I have added printer using CUPS. I have located printer on Add Printer but when printing it says cannot locate printer.

Very confused - going to throw this in the bin $200!!! Please help

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The steps outlined in the document I linked to should work. There's probably nothing anyone can do to help you without actually being there. But there shouldn't be any reason for the printer to get an IP address in a different range from your computer unless it's something configured in your router.

Yes, it's a terribly convoluted and badly thought out process, but it does work.

7. mazstar1980 macrumors member

The manual says that if the IP addresses are not in range I cannot proceed.

My computers pick up the device and the printer is coming with a different IP address than that of the CUPS module as well..all very confusing.

8. mazstar1980 macrumors member

I got it working. I reset the printer and reconnected it to router. Instead of being assigned an IP auto the router did it through dhcp. I then managed to log in through web browser and the rest is history.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I had that printer for about 18 months. I spent more time dealing with connectivity issues. Went and purchased an HP 2030, haven't had a single problem.
    I hope you have better luck than I did.