trouble setting up wireless printer (lexmark)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by greenn17h, Feb 21, 2009.

1. greenn17h macrumors newbie

I'm at a friends house for a few days, he just bought a Lexmark X6575. He has an older macbook Pro, and I have an aluminum MacBook, both with 10.5.6. We can both print using the USB cable fine, and have ran the wireless setup thing that came with the driver. The green WiFi light on the front of the printer is on, meaning it detects the network. It says "no configured computer found on network." My question is, how do I configure my computer? I can't find anything in the documentation with the printer.

If I type the printer IP into safari, it sees the printer and seems to show everything is normal. I've never done this before, so I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.

2. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Lexmarks network printers suck, and the software that they use sucks.

Unlike what a network print should be which is just a stand alone device that you can add like any other shared printer, you've got to install their BS software on your computer which hardly ever works in order to use the networking functions of the printer.

3. cmob macrumors newbie

call lexmark

my dad had the same problem with his new lexmark all-in-one and his MBAir. It took Lexmark an hour, but they were able to fix it (free support).

4. chrisW335a macrumors newbie

Lexmarks and WIFI

:( Guys, put it back in the box and get something else - i too have just spend best part of 5 hours working this thing out and have come to the conclusion it's not worth it - i will get a epson 600wifi ! But it makes me angry that you can ping the device, you can edit the settings via browser BUT CAN'T PRINT!! checking all the blogs i on wifi and OS 10.5 i thought by now there would be an update for the x6575 on the lexmark site - err NO windows downloads only under the support pages! Shame cause it looks and feels like a good printer!

5. harry454 macrumors 6502

from now on only canon and brother is what I buy and the odd epson, others are crap

6. jman70 macrumors newbie

Can't Find or Recognize / Recognise Lexmark Printer on Wireless Network

This may come a bit late, but hopefully it will help anyone searching for the same problem. I deleted all my printers as I was having odd problems with printing.

When I tried to add back my x7550, it was fine via USB, but even though I had a green light for the wireless connection, and I could ping the printer and see the printer's status page over the wireless network at http://169.254.27.125, it just wasn't recognised when I used the Lexmark Wireless Setup utility.

After spending hours and hours reconfiguring the ad hoc network settings, and changing the wireless settings on the printer, I was still getting nowhere.

Then I switched the firewall off on the mac, and voilà, there it was. You might have to click on the "network" drop down and manually search for the printer's IP address, but that's it. I've switched the firewall back on and it's printing fine.

Hope that is of some help.

7. r0710 macrumors newbie

Still unable to print wirelessly on Lexmark Pro205

Hi Jman70, not sure if you are still registered here. Your reply of 2008 was really exciting, though, I couldn't find out where to add the IP address for my Lexmark in the Security on my MacBook.

So frustrated.... I did various things, connecting with the USB to the Lexmark Pro205 - it worked - it printed! Though, using the Lexmark wireless utility, was just useless.. it tries to configure but freezes.

My son has had an old Dell printer and a new Apple MacBook Air. Now, he can't print at all to the old Dell, even via the USB as there seem to no drivers? And he can't wirelessly connect to my Lexmark! Help!

What printer do you recommend?

Thanks.

8. jman70 macrumors newbie

Hi r0710,

I'm assuming the Macbook Air has the Snow Leopard version of OS X, so my advice is to connect the USB printer to the Macbook Air, then run Software Update and it should automatically download the right driver.

You can try that with the Lexmark printer, too. I'd first of all connect via USB, run software update, then try connecting via wireless. If you can join the wireless network but can't deere the printer I'd try running Software Update again.

Let me know how you get on.
    jman70