Trouble shoot a dropped MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by native00, Dec 6, 2010.

1. native00 macrumors regular

native00

The girlfriend dropped her MacBook from a sink-high distance. It's one of the 2008 models, still running Leopard.

It worked for a couple of hours after the drop, but then it just went grey on her. When she rebooted, that folder with the ? showed up. I tried booting from the installation disk by rebooting while holding C, then holding Option, and this thing gave me issues for about half hour before I could get to Disk Utility. Disk utility showed me no signs of a hard drive, and when I listened, I heard no noise from the drive - even on a reboot it simply made a ticking noise.

So I replaced the hard drive tonight, and still nothing - just the ? folder and the clicking sound. Before I take it into Apple for $285 + tax to fix anything wrong in it, I wondered if there was something else I could try.

Thanks in advance.

2. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Have you formatted the new disk you put in?

If not you need to boot from the install disk and select disk utilities from the top line.

Once formatted then reinstall leopard.

Hope that helps.

3. native00 thread starter macrumors regular

native00

With the new hard drive in it, it wont boot from the disk; I've tried reboot +c, x, and option (all separate reboots, of course) and nothing! The computer gets warm, I hear spinning, but it wont boot from the disk. On top of that - it wont eject the disk thats in it!