Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamietheMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Scotland
Hello all , ive had a problem with my MBP (2011)

it wont shut down properly , all i get is the spinning cog, not beach ball.

anyway this morning i thought to myself what if its a rogue process stopping it.

so i opened up activity monitor and closed down all the processes that looked like programs ive install or things like my razer mouse etc.

now instead of me giving up waiting and powering off my macbook pro after 15 mins , which i hate doing.

it closed down in around 15 seconds, which suggests to me that i was right and it is a process stopping it.

my question is , is there anyway of finding out wich process was causing it to hang, i closed down around 15-20 processes and obviously dont want to have to individually close each one down and try it that way.

hope that all made sense.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
my question is , is there anyway of finding out wich process was causing it to hang, i closed down around 15-20 processes and obviously dont want to have to individually close each one down and try it that way.
That's an effective way do it. Start by quitting processes where the user name is you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.