Trouble starting OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fallingwalls1, Jul 23, 2008.

1. fallingwalls1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, Im sorry if this this is in the wrong place or anything, but for the first time in the two years Ive had my mac, I need to troubleshoot it.

Every time I turn my computer on, it shows the "Starting OS X" progress bar as normal, but once it fills completely, nothing happens. Ive force shut down and restarted it, waited at that screen for hours while I was at work, and didnt get any luck.

If it helps, I was restarting from a system update when this happened. Im running Tiger on my Mac Mini.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

First, start up holding the shift key to start in safe mode. If that doesn't work, start from your install disc and open disk utility and verify and repair your startup disk.

3. fallingwalls1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a special way to boot in safe mode? Because I cant quite seem to get it.

Once Im in safe mode, what exactly am I supposed to be doing?

4. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

The idea is to verify your disk, not boot into safe mode. Booting into safe mode is just a step in the process. Does it boot when you hold shift?

5. fallingwalls1 thread starter macrumors newbie

No. Nothing different happens.

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

OK, now put your install disc 1 in and boot holding the option key. Then select the disc when it comes up as a boot option. This will take a few minutes. Open Disk Utility and repair permissions on "Macintosh HD". Also, verify and repair the disk. Then try booting from your hard drive again. If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss. It may take a clean install for you.

7. fallingwalls1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Holding the option key with the disc in is giving me the same result as holding shift. Its trying to load the OS like Im not pressing anything. Maybe im doing something wrong, but I dont think that I am. Im supposed to hold the keys, press power, and wait for something to happen, right?

I just left it to grind for about an hour. When I came back on to see if any magic happened, a message was on the screen saying "You will need to restart your computer. To do this, hold the power button for waiting 15 seconds, and press it again." Dont know if this helps, but its a different result.

Again thank you for all help!

8. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

That's a kernel panic, the equivalent of the blue screen of death. Not good. It could be something as simple as your RAM not being in correctly. If it's not that, it could be a bad logic board. This thread looks similar to this one.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=335206

9. fallingwalls1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just put in some new ram about 2 months ago, so Im hoping its that and not the logic board. Ill open 'er up and make sure everything's ok, and maybe even try to swap back in the stock ram.

The main thing thats aggravating me is that I nothings happening when I hold various keys at startup. Is there a certain time Im supposed to let them go or something?

10. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I'm definitely betting it's the RAM. As far as the boot keys go, you can't hold them down too long.