Trouble syncing apps from iPod to new Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cliffius, Dec 23, 2010.

1. cliffius macrumors newbie

I have an iPod Touch 2nd gen. I just bought a new Macbook Air, and I'm having a hard time trying to sync the iPod AND not lose the data stored in my apps.

I have transferred all my music/movies/apps/etc to my new computer just fine using Home Sharing.

I have a backup of the iPod on the OLD computer.

When I plug in my iPod to the new computer, it says that it is currently synced with a different computer and I can only sync with one computer at a time, do I want to erase everything? I say yes.

After it syncs to the new computer, I transfer the backup file from the old computer to the new computer. I then right click the iPod icon and do a restore from the backup. It works and my ipod looks just like before. But then itunes says, "this ipod is synced with an old computer...etc".

I'm going in circles! Is there an easier way? Can I trick my new computer into thinking the old backup was actually synced with it?

Thanks for any help!

2. X2thaP macrumors member

Try this: connect your ipod to your new computer.
    In the column on the left, right-click your ipod and select to create a backup instead of restoring from one.

This way you have a backup from your ipod on your new mac. Now, if as you say all your apps and music
    are on this new mac as well, you should be able to restore your ipod on the new mac without losing anything.

Hope this helps.