Trouble taking out logic board MBP 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by achung205, Aug 19, 2013.

1. achung205 macrumors newbie

Hi lately my MBP has gotten really hot. ive cleaned out the fans which helped tremendously but i want to take the extra step of reapplying the thermal paste, since i like doing that stuff anyways. ive followed the ifixit guide and checked some youtube videos, but im having trouble taking out the logic board. i can lift the left side slightly, but it seems the right side is still attached firmly. im pretty confident that all cables are disconnected and all screws were taken out. here is a picture for the skeptics.

[​IMG]

i could use some more force, but im afraid to turn my laptop into a $2000 paperweight. judging from the videos, it looks like the board should come out with little effort. can anybody help?

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Could be the still connected battery cable....

3. achung205 thread starter macrumors newbie

some of the cables may look like they are still on but i disconnected them. this is including the battery cable, which is the one to the right of the RAM, correct?

btw, this is the guide i used. it may be helpful to reference the step # from it

4. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Correct. My bad, it looked like it was still connected in the pic :D

I would suggest going through the guide again and double checking everything, and if it is all in order I would lift up the left side and wiggle the board back and forth a bit while pulling gently. I remember while taking apart my 2008 MBP the I/O ports got caught and the board just needed a good wiggle...
    Also keep in mind step 22 on the guide! Just try not to pull too hard- don't force it. It should come out with a bit of wiggling.

5. sarthak macrumors 6502

Try watching a DIY video on YouTube to see how the board comes out more accurately.

6. achung205 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah this was my second attempt at taking the board out, in case i missed something. its highly unlikely i skipped a step two times..

i tugged on the board as much as i could without bending it and tried wiggling it also. the io ports do seem to be stuck tightly, not something that can be wiggled out.

ive watched videos and it looks like the left part of the board lifts up easily, then you can pull it out sideways. however, i have trouble lifting it up because the right side doesnt budge