Trouble transfering Address book from HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by soonerpete, Aug 24, 2010.

1. soonerpete macrumors newbie

The motherboard on my G5 iMac crashed and I'm trying to move my address book 4.0.1 to the new iMac from the G5 hard drive (removed from the old computer). I think I located the folder in:
    user/library/applicationsupport/addressbook. I have tried several suggestions from this as well as other sites, but nothing seems to be working. Maybe I'm not doing it just right.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated as I have many addresses, phone numbers,etc in the old file.
    Thanks

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

How are you trying to do it? Migration Assistant?

3. soonerpete thread starter macrumors newbie

Trouble transfering Address book from HD

I was going to try the migration assistant but was unsure which choice to choose because i only wanted to transfer a few of the main items from the old disc and not everything.

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Somebody else may chip in with a way to extract/import the info directly from the Applications Support folder (i.e. the AddressBook.data file).

For Migration Assistant, I don't know how far you've got with setting stuff up on the new Mac but you can choose to only import as little as you like, including I believe down to Library settings.

5. soonerpete thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,
    I may go back and retry the migration assistant. I'm not doing very well from the Application support folder. My problem may be that we started using the computer before I was able to hook up the old HD.