Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattniles007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Michigan
I just bought a 20"Imac and I am trying to transfer over all my stuff from my powerbook g4. I have the cables attached and running migration assistance. When I press the T key and restart my powerbook it restarts with the firewall symbol and thats it.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
mattniles007 said:
I just bought a 20"Imac and I am trying to transfer over all my stuff from my powerbook g4. I have the cables attached and running migration assistance. When I press the T key and restart my powerbook it restarts with the firewall symbol and thats it.
thats whats ment to happen, holding down t starts firewire tagret disk mode which means if its plugged in to the imac via a firewire cable it will mount on the desktop as a removable disk
personally i have never used migration assistant but if you are still having problems consult the instructions

paradillon

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2004
Migration Assistant

Are you running migration assistant on the new mac? Apps folder>utilities folder> migration assistant.:rolleyes:

mattniles007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Michigan
Yes running migration assistant on the new mac. Also tried restarting both macs. On my new mac I am on the screen in Migration Ass. that says "now hold down T and restart old mac this may take 30 seconds. The old mac goes throught the motions and has a blue background with a firewall symbol.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
mattniles007 said:
Yes running migration assistant on the new mac. Also tried restarting both macs. On my new mac I am on the screen in Migration Ass. that says "now hold down T and restart old mac this may take 30 seconds. The old mac goes throught the motions and has a blue background with a firewall symbol.

This is what is supposed to happen. The drive on the old Mac should mount on the desktop of the new Mac, as if it's an external hard drive. If this is not occurring, then you need to check your Firewire cable and connections because most likely it or they are the culprit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.