Trouble updating iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tripatheea, Aug 22, 2013.

1. tripatheea macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!
    I have a jailbroken iPhone 3gs which runs iOS 4.1 (8B117). Predictably, I can't download most of the apps and so often, I feel like it's not even an smartphone. So I need to update it anyhow.

But everytime I try, I either receive Error 3194 or 3004. I've tried numerous things suggested across various forums like removing the gs.apple.com entry in the hosts file, putting it back, using TinyUmbrella to do the same thing but all in vain. I have the latest iTunes version installed (v.11). I've tried updating by just hitting Update/Restore, by manually downloading the firmware and then doing Shift + Restore. I tried by building a custom firmware from sn0wbreeze. I've even tried from another computer. I've tried updating to multiple versions (5 and 6). But nothing worked. I always receive either error 3194 or 3004.

I really need to update this. I'd be really really grateful for any kind of help.

Thank you very much!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can only update to iOS 6.1.3

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Let me guess.
    You had the iPad baseband instaled in order to unlock.
    And you tried restoring to stock firmware.

4. tripatheea thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea. My phone used to belong to someone else and he too took it to some place to have it jailbroken (to unlock).

If what you said is the case, is there anything I can do or am I doomed?

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I don't know about the baseband problem (check what yours is and report back here) but I had trouble once on my 3GS. I ended up doing the restore from a different computer and it worked just fine. After that I was able to restore settings from the backup on the original computer.

6. tripatheea thread starter macrumors newbie

Trying from a different computer doesn't work for me.

My baseband was 06.15.00 and I just downgraded it to 05.13.04

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

ok once you downgraded the baseband then try to restore using iTunes.

8. tripatheea thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much guys. I downgraded the baseband and tried a couple of times and the update worked. Thank you so much!

I updated to 6.1.3- don't know why, should have done to 6.1.2.

Anyways, after update, I've jailbroken using redsn0w too.

But now, I have another problem- unlocking. My current baseband is 05.16.08 which, from what I've read, isn't unlockable using ultrasn0w. So, I need to update the baseband. I know the instructions- use redsn0w to update to iPad baseband and then downgrade from iPad baseband.

However, everytime I try to install the iPad baseband, redsn0w just shows "Processing..." for a long time and then crashes. I've tried running in compatibility mode (as XP) as an administrator and I've even tried by selecting just "Install iPad baseband" as apparently trying to install the iPad baseband and Cydia at the same time crashes redsn0w. But nothing has worked so far.

I've not been able to use my phone because of this. I'd be so grateful for any help.

Thank you so much!

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Don't install the ipad baseband again in order to unlock it.
    If its an AT&T iphone just purchase an imei unlock for it for $2 and you're done.

10. tripatheea thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not an AT&T iPhone though I don't know which network it's locked to. It was bought in Australia. Can I still use some sort IMEI unlock?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh if its an Australian network not sure if you can do an imei unlock or if you can how much it would be.
    It varies by carrier. Some are cheap and others very expensive.
    I'd start off finding out exactly what network its locked to.
    You can figure that out by spending a $1 and then take it from there.
    https://www.swiftunlocks.com/unlock/iphone-network-status-checker

12. tripatheea thread starter macrumors newbie

My phone is locked to Optus' network (https://www.optus.com.au/).

So, what's this IMEI unlock? How does it work? Is it permanent like I've read in some sites? And where can I get a reliable unlock service for a reasonable cost?

Thank you so much!