Trouble updating to Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LoganRusling, Sep 16, 2012.

1. LoganRusling macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro, 15", I'm running iOS 10.6.8.

I purchased Mountain Lion through the App Store recently, but every time I try to update my Mac to Mountain Lion the installer never works.

It will go through the process of "installing" it, and then it will restart my MacBook. Once it restarts, rather than rebooting into Mountain Lion it prompts me to accept the Terms of Agreement again.
    Once I accept the Terms of Agreement, it asks me to pick what kind of installation I want. (Backup, New copy of iOS, etc.) I pick install new copy of iOS, but whenever I do it will stop halfway and send me back to the Terms of Agreement screen.

Whenever Mountain Lion first came out, my cousin bought it and tried to put it on my MacBook via his flash drive, but that never worked either.

I'm thinking that may be conflicting with updating it through the App Store now.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Is your computer supported? There are some older MacBook Pros that can't run Mountain Lion.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I dont think Mac runs on iOS :rolleyes:

Anyway, yeah what is your Mac spec?

4. LoganRusling thread starter macrumors newbie

Model: MacBook Pro 15"
    Build Year: - This unit was built in 2010.

Processor
    Processor speed: 2.4 GHz
    Processor Type: Intel Core i5
    Number of Cores: 2
    Bus Speed: 1066 MHz
    Cache: 3 MB L2 cache
    64-bit Support: Yes
    Turbo Boost: Up to 2.93 GHz

Memory
    Installed RAM: - 4 GB (2x2GB)
    Max. Amount: - 8.0 GB
    Amount of Slots: - 2
    RAM Speed: - 1066 MHz
    RAM Type: - PC3-8500, DDR3, SO-DIMM​

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah, that should work just fine. Have you had any hardware issues?

When you go into disk utility and select the drive you're using, what does the "Smart Status" indicator at the bottom say?

6. LoganRusling thread starter macrumors newbie

It says Verified.

But for some reason it shows a disc on the right hand side of my screen, but there is nothing in my DVD/CD drive?

[​IMG]

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That's normal, it is just showing your optical drive. If there were a disc in the drive, it'd show a volume below that one.

Anyway, I can't think of a reason why you aren't able to install ML. I guess it's possible that when you tried to upgrade using the USB drive, your partition table was messed up?

If you had(or was able to make) a bootable restore drive, I'd probably re-partition and format everything. Then install and restore your data from a backup.