Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejenkins132

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
The Problem:

I'm having a bit of trouble upgrading my Windows XP partition to Windows 7 64 bit using boot camp. My current OS is Windows XP 32-bit. I am trying to upgrade with a Windows 7 64-bit upgrade disc.

Other Info
I have used Windows 7 64-bit on my computer before, but I had to do some messing with the DVD. I am not sure what I did (I had some help from my Dad), but it was installed. However, the trial ran out after 30 days, and it wouldn't activate due to the fact that it was used for a full installation when the product was meant for an upgrade. I reinstalled Windows XP, and inserted the Windows 7 64-bit upgrade disc, and I get a message that says "This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and then select Custom (advanced)."

However, and I know some other people have had this problem, when I boot from the disc, I get a message asking me to select some CD boot type or something like that, and the keyboard doesn't let me type at all. So, I'm kinda stuck.

Specs
Macbook Pro, purchased in December 2007
500Gb Hard Drive
4Gb Memory
If you need any other specs, let me know.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

EDIT: I just realized I posted this in the wrong section, I didn't see the Windows section. If someone could move this thread, I would appreciate it.

ejenkins132

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
You do realize you cannot upgrade from XP 32-bit or XP 64bit to windows 7 32 or 64 bit right?

I do realize that, so I'm wondering if I can install windows 7 with an upgrade disc and not have the trial run out. It's not like I'm stealing a copy of Windows or anything, I have previous versions, it's just that whenever I try to boot from the upgrade disc it tells me to select the Boot Type (1 or 2) and the keyboard becomes non-responsive. I was able to install Windows 7 32-bit before, and I had 64-bit running before the trial expired and it wouldn't let me activate.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Here. Read this about your Boot Option 1/2 stuck problem.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/467704/

Furthermore, The upgrade disk won't let you activate because you didn't upgrade from Windows Vista -> Windows 7. Technically you're violating the EULA but I'm not gonna get into that.

There's a way of bypassing the activation problem, which is to clean install Windows 7 then "upgrade" Windows 7 again.

25ml

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
You can upgrade from Windows XP (32) to Windows 7 (64). Just reboot your Mac and hold "option" and when it lists the drives you can boot in to, boot into your Windows 7 installation CD. Then just format your Windows XP partition.

You can't keep your files for XP, you will have to format it fresh with Windows 7 (64) since it's 64 bit. Totally doable, just back up your XP files and boot from the Win 7 CD and you'll be good to go.

:apple:

ejenkins132

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
You can upgrade from Windows XP (32) to Windows 7 (64). Just reboot your Mac and hold "option" and when it lists the drives you can boot in to, boot into your Windows 7 installation CD. Then just format your Windows XP partition.

You can't keep your files for XP, you will have to format it fresh with Windows 7 (64) since it's 64 bit. Totally doable, just back up your XP files and boot from the Win 7 CD and you'll be good to go.

:apple:
Did you read the whole post? I mentioned that when I booted into the Windows 7-64bit disc, it gave me two options for booting, and the keyboard wouldn't work.

And thanks ayeying, I've just installed Windows 7 32-bit. I'll mess around with the ISO's and stuff a little bit later. Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.