Trouble using Back to my Mac from a different network

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by rball1979, Dec 5, 2008.

1. rball1979 macrumors regular

I've set up Back to my Mac on my home network and everything works OK on the LAN. I'm currently at my mothers, obviously on a different WAN, yet the Shared section doesn't appear in my Finder window? Both Routers have UPnP and NAT enabled but still nothing..any ideas? And yes, my iMac at home is on.

2. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

Are you logged into YOUR MM account at your mothers house or does she have her own MM account?

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

4. rball1979 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm logged in with my account on both machines...latest firmware on my mothers router but not sure about mine. Although seeing as I can connect when I;m home on the LAN, I dont think thats the issue

5. dengar169 macrumors member

I had a similar problem when I was at my girlfriend's house. The next day I wrote down my ip address and my computers name etc etc and entered it all in on the "sharing" preferences button. restarted my computer and it worked. I don't know if what I did was right OR just simply restarting it was what needed. But it worked...eventually. Hope this helps at all.

6. rball1979 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I should have written my IP down and the connected manually to the screen sharing...still not sure why there is nothing in My Shared Section if everything is set up as it's meant to be...strange!