Trouble using medical textbook/atlas CD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jnyepu, Oct 14, 2007.

1. jnyepu macrumors member

So I have a CD that's a medical textbook/atlas (most current edition of this particular textbook/atlas) that I would like to be able to use after spending $140 on it. It says it's Mac compatible (PowerPC 200Mhz or higher recommended, Mac OS 8.0 or higher, etc. etc. are the minimum specs), in addition to being able to running on Windows.

Following the installation instructions, when I insert the CD into my MBP drive and double click on its icon, a window opens up with an icon called "Install Program." When I double click on that icon, an error message pops up, "You cannot open the application "Install Program" because it is not supported on this system."

Why isn't this working? Is this CD too "ancient" to be used on OS X? What do I need to do to get it to run?

Thanks in advance!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's a Classic application that's going to need a PowerPC based Mac to run.

It'd probably be easier just to run it in Windows.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sounds like it's a pre-OS X (i.e. designed for versions of MacOS from before about 1999) program. PPC Macs have an emulation system called the "Classic" environment that lets them run these programs. Intel Macs do not have this. There is an option, which is to use a program such as Sheepsaver to emulate the Classic environment, although using the Windows version (via WINE, Crossover, Parallels, VMWare, Fusion, etc) would probably be more palatable, since the quality of anything that's eight years out of date is a bit sketchy.