Resolved Trouble viewing .wmv files (OSStatus error -19160)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zwhaler, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Zwhaler, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I am trying to view some mms:// links posted for an online film class, the the file extension is .wmv
    I have the latest Flip4Mac components for Quicktime, but I read that even with that some wmv files can be difficult to open. I haven't been able to find a solution, the links open Quicktime player by default maybe there is a way to have it open using another program? Thanks for any replies. I'm using 10.6.8 on a 2010 Mac Pro.

Here is one of the links to show what I'm talking about:

mms://Burbank.dvc.edu/KWhite/Video/Hitch.wmv

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

3. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Unfortunately, I didn't have any luck with VLC Player, here are screenshots of the error. When I tried using MPlayer OS X Extended it would try to load the link for a second then it would just sit blank and not play anything back. Could the links be bad? That's what I'm thinking from the crash report... (click to enlarge)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I see. It looks like your school's server is asking for a password, and that feature isn't supported in whatever program generated the log file that you posted. I'm not sure what to suggest, sorry.

5. Zwhaler, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The teacher actually provided a username and password for the videos... I just don't see a place to input it. Thanks

So it looks like there isn't a way to open mms:// links using QuickTime (at least that I've found) but I emailed the teacher and found a solution using VLC media player, apparently one must add "MAC/" after the .edu/ part of the address.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Have you tried replacing mms with http and using safari ?

7. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I actually tried that using Firefox and then QT would get stuck on "loading movie" (on Safari it says page cannot be found), however I just edited my above post, I found the solution while using VLC Player so we're all good.

8. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk