Trouble Virtualizing Ubuntu on a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tigercat212, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Tigercat212 macrumors regular

Hey guys! I am having a bit of trouble when I am virtualizing Ubuntu using xVM Virtualbox on my Macbook. First off, it says that I have no sound care installed which obviously, the Macbook does have one. Also, I am trying to install and run Compiz Fusion. I read someone's directions that said to go to Preferences > Appearence and enable Normal or Extra effects. I tried to enable Normal and it said "Desktop effects could not be enabled." Any idea why? Does the Macbook have a good enough video card? I've seen videos on Youtube of people running Ubuntu with Compiz Fusion on their Macbook.

Also, is Amarok a good program to use with my iPod in Ubuntu. Last two things. In Sun xVM Virtualbox, is there a way to run Ubuntu in fullscreen mode without a black frame around it? One last thing. Is there a way for me to delete the .ISO file from my Mac hard drive so it is only in the VM because I don't want it cluttering up my desktop and OSX hard drive?

So, do you think most of these problems are because I need to install drivers of some sort?

Thanks in advance,

Tigercat212

2. Queso macrumors G4

VirtualBox presents the guest OS with virtual hardware. In my experience desktop effects on Ubuntu can't be enabled even on VMWare. You will need to install the Guest Additions to get the full screen usage, which will link the Xorg component of Ubuntu into the virtual hardware.

I also take it from your mentioning of the ISO that you're running Ubuntu off a live disk. If you create a disk image within VirtualBox and install Ubuntu to it, you will be able to get rid of the ISO.