Trouble with a GeForce 4Ti

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Dec 6, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I seem to have the worst luck with this particular card. I'm on my second one that I've bought-the first was DOA.

In any case, the second one worked for about two weeks in my Quicksilver. Last weekend, the computer kernel panicked while I was using it. When I restarted the computer, I wasn't able to get any display signal out of the card. Putting the old GeForce4 MX back in returned the computer to normal operation, and I haven't had any issues since.

I've since done all the maintenance stuff that I know to do on the card. I started by cleaning the contacts with denatured alcohol. When that didn't work, I took a pencil eraser to the contacts(there was a little bit of tarnish on one) and followed up with another good cleaning with denatured alcohol. I had repasted the GPU before initially installing the card, but did so again just to be safe.

I've also cleaned out the slot on the computer.

I've tried the card in several other G4s, so know that the problem isn't specific to the Quicksilver.

With the card installed, the computer will chime. The fan on the card spins. I'm using it with both an ADC display(17" LCD studio) and a generic 20" LCD connected via the DVI port. The ADC display powers up fine with this card, and I can even use the power button on the display to power up the computer.

2. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Okay, I'm now a bit stumped on this.

I stuck the card in my DA G4(a machine that I use a lot for this sort of diagnostic stuff) along with a PCI video card.

Under system profiler, here's how the Ti shows up

I tried to use the Nvidia flash utility to read and dump the ROM off the card, but every time I did this it returned a result of "null."

I also downloaded the OEM Ti ROM, and attempted to flash it using the same utility. I also got the "null" result.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be going on with this card? Does it look like it may have just bit the dust?

Attached Files:

3. weckart macrumors 68040

It has recognised the card but looks like it is missing an extension or so. Have you added the latest nVidia drivers to your G4?