Trouble with airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hillaryabes, Nov 4, 2009.

1. hillaryabes macrumors newbie

I'm having trouble with my airport.. I go to a University and use their wireless internet on my macbook pro, so I don't have access to the port or base or whatever. It's only my mac, nobody else seems to be having the problem.

Also, I get a strong signal, but I can't go to web pages or anything. When I try, I get the "you are not connected to the internet" message.

When I go to network in system preferences, it says "AirPort does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet." The internet works fine when I use an ethernet cord.

I've tried rebooting the computer, turning airport on and off, using Network Diagnostics, placing my airport first (before ethernet) in the network lineup, and removing all my preferred networks and just keeping the one that I use most often. I have no idea if any of this should have helped or not, but it didn't.

What can I do?

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Your university might be using 802.1X to protect their wireless internet. You should probably contact your university's IT department. They will probably be able to assist you.

3. hillaryabes thread starter macrumors newbie

If this makes a difference, I've been able to connect to their internet before.. it just stopped working a few nights ago.

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

This happened to my laptop at my university as well. I ended up having to create a profile to connect to their wireless internet. Your university's IT department should be able to determine if you need to do so as well.

5. hillaryabes thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I asked them and they said since I couldn't connect to any of the wireless networks through the school, it probably means it's my computer, and to backup all my information and then reinstall OS X... could that help? I just don't want to go through the hassle if it's not going to change anything..

6. Leocadia macrumors newbie