Trouble with Boot Camp on 2010 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by azgul, Aug 26, 2010.

1. azgul macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I partitioned a 100gb chunk using boot camp assistant, put in my windows 7 disc and proceed to restart, when the computer boots back up, I just have a black screen with a flashing white _. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Not too sure whats going on wrong. No problems here.

I just installed Windows 7 64-bit professional on a 300GB partition on my stock 1TB drive today with no issues at all.

3. azgul thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you create the partition using boot camp assistant or disk utility?

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

5. nasabaer macrumors member

put in your windows setup cd, restart your mac pro and hold the alt key and select the cd as startup medium.
    seems that your mac pro had selected the empty windows partition as default startup volume.

as an alternative - boot up from your leopard install dvd, and select in utilities the default startup volume.

should solve your problem

6. aragdog macrumors newbie

First of all I need a couple of Windows programs that do not work or are available on a Mac. Second I have 4 drives in my Mac Pro now. Two for the Mac and two for Windows. One XP Pro and One Windows 7. The 7 is just for play and stuff.

In all previous Mac Pro's all you needed to do is just boot to the XP Pro disc and they do the updates to that disc from the disc provided by Apple. However, in this new Mac Pro it is not working at all. I need some suggestions other than to format that disc and start over. If you look in some other posts here Parallels, and VMWare Fusion are not working either and this is very bad stuff if Apple did not provide for it.

7. freedom42 macrumors newbie

My problem is different. I was able to install Windows 7 on an independent internal drive without Bootcamp assistant, but once the Bootcamp drivers are installed the system takes a blue screen after every boot with a cache management error. Googling this I found one thread where it was cited that installing Macdrive before installing Apple's drivers solved the problem.

To be honest this doesn't make sense, but I tried it. Doesn't work. I still get the blue screen within 30 seconds of booting into Windows 7.

Thoughts?

8. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

No problems either, using Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

9. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Took the 2008 Mac pro Win7 64 install disk and moved it to the 2010 mac Pro and it worked without any new drivers disk. I ran bootcamp afterward anyway and although it didn't need it, it also seemed fine. just had to hide the Mac drives in disk management.

10. mozilla77 macrumors newbie

Do you have other software RAID setup on your mac?
    There is a HFS+ driver bug (from Boot Camp) that caused the cache management error. You need to remove the driver. Trade-off is that you won't able to see mac formatted drive under Windows.

11. bazzevo macrumors newbie

How do you remove the driver?

Thanks,

bazz

12. flyingphish macrumors newbie

I too have a 2010 Mac pro running software raid. My windows7 install is in bay 1 all by itself. Bay2,3,4 raid 0. I too got the blue screen then crash dump after installing drivers and bootcamp off the OSx install disk.

I had to reinstall windows7. But did not install bootcamp.

windows works fine without it. I did install the realtek driver to get sound and downloaded ati catalyst for 5800 video cards but that's it.

Do you even have to install bootcamp? And the bad hfs+ driver is on the osx install disk? Which driver is it and how would I remove it as it's a DVD.

Thx

13. bazzevo macrumors newbie

I did install the bootcamp drivers after installing windows without any other drives in the mac pro. This worked fine.

I have now put all my drives in and so far its been ok. It seems to be only when your installing and if you have any other drives in your mac pro.

14. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

Ok, here is the fix;

Currently, your Mac Pro probably won't boot properly, unless you hold Option (Alt).

Hold Alt, boot into OS X, run Boot Camp Assistant, choose the 'Start the Windows installer' option, making sure your Windows disk is in the drive, your Mac will reboot, and the installation will start.

My MacBook Pro does the same thing, no idea why telling it to start it again fixes it, but it does.

15. Raytrace macrumors member

This is where I'm at. When I start the windows installer, my 08 MP reboots and the monitor shuts down, KB and mouse are unresponsive, and nothing happens at all. I've tried this several times now.

It just isn't working at all.