Trouble with burning audio CD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gadgetgirl85, Jul 1, 2007.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I tried to burn a music CD in Toast but it only burnt 70 odd songs! I have a MP3 player in my car and I want to burn an audio CD made of songs from other CDs (about 120 songs). I tried to do it itunes but it wont let me burn .mp4s or such. Am I doing something wron?

2. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Anyone? I didnt realise my question was so complicated :p I just want to burn a long MP3 CD I dont care what program I use :)

3. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

I"m not really sure what you're asking, because you first say you want to burn a mp3 cd, and then you complain about itunes not allowing you to burn a mp4 cd. Assuming the latter is a typo . . .

Look in itunes preferences, under the advanced tab. Then, click on the "burning" sub-tab, and select mp3 as the disc format.

4. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

When you ripped the CD's to iTunes, what file format did you pick?

If you picked mp3 then you can find the songs in your iTunes folder in your Music folder.

Just drag them to the Toast window and burn them that way

Attached Files:

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, not to be argumentative, but it is a complicated question, because you're not explaining yourself clearly. .mp4 is not an audio format. It's a video format. MPEG-4 audio files on Macs are .m4a or .m4p. MP3 files are .mp3. If your files are .m4p's, they will not be amenable to an MP3 CD unless you burn them to an audio CD and then re-rip them, because of the protection. If they're .m4a's, you can use iTunes to convert them to MP3 files.

6. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Sorry I will try to make myself clear and try again

I ripped a few of my old CDs and now want to make an audio CD for my car (which is an MP3 player CD so it can take a lot of songs) Itunes wont let me burn my ripped CDs which are in MPEG audio files apparantely. I tried to do it in Toast but it only burnt 70 songs for me. Is there a way I can burn about 150 of my CD songs onto one CD? I hope this is clearer

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well.. it should, as far as I understand, if the 150 songs are together smaller than the size of a CDR (e.g. 680 MB). if those songs are ripped at a higher bit rate, then, no, it won't (e.g. if the songs are at 256 or 320kbps, you're probably only going to get 50-70 per disc).

8. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I just dragged the audio files into Toast. Was that right? is there somewhere I can change the settings to rip at a smaller rate or something?

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, just to make sure we know what we're dealing with... start with opening iTunes; select a song that you're trying to put on the MP3 disc, hit apple-I, and you get this window. What do the Kind and Bit Rate fields say? What does the size field say?

[​IMG]

(or, if you don't use iTunes, do the equivalent in whatever you do use)

10. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

its 3.7mb
    128 KBPS
    44100 kHz

The problem is if I want to burn a mp3 CD in itunes it wont let me burn my ripped cds but I can if do a normal CD if I only want 70 odd tracks but I want to burn 150 songs or so. I tried doing a music CD in toast and only got 70 again and when I did a data CD my ripped CD songs didnt burn :(

11. galdamez macrumors newbie

No, you're not doing anything wrong.

As for burning part of your concern, when you go into iTunes preferences and set the burning mode to "MP3 CD" keep in mind that all this does is it filters out any files in your playlist that are NOT MP3s (e.g. AAC, WAV, AIFF, MP2, video files, etc.). All the files that are not MP3 format are not changed or converted on the fly. They are simply left out. Songs bought from the iTunes Music Store are definitely NOT converted to MP3 on the fly.

MP3 CD players usually don't play AAC (or .mp4) files, so that's why the filtering is necessary. That basically means if you want the non-MP3 songs to play in your MP3 CD player you have to convert them yourself. To do that, you can hit COMMAND + J and check to show the column "Type". Sort by this column, and any file types that are not beginning "MPEG Audio" can be highlighted, and under the Advanced menu you can select "Convert selected tracks to..." Make sure Importing preferences are set to the MP3 encoder. The only catch with this approach is iTunes won't let you convert iTunes Store songs to MP3, at least directly (I'm guessing the DRM Free songs wouldn't have this problem, but I wouldn't know).

Once that is done, you can move the new converted files to the playlist, and delete the old ones. Then you will have a nice MP3 CD.

Does that solve your problems, or does that open up a whole 'nother can of worms? :D