Trouble with capturing footage Final Cut Pro 4.5/Sony dcr-hc98/Macbook

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by saveourbrainz, May 23, 2009.

1. saveourbrainz macrumors newbie

Hey,
    So, I recently purchased the new Macbook(december 2008)(MacBook5,1 w/ Intel Core 2 Duo). Getting the new computer I realized that there isn't a firewire and I was very unimpressed by the Imovie 08. So, I installed Final Cut Pro 4.5 to my computer. I have a Sony DCR-HC96, and when trying to upload/capture footage in either software (FCP or Imovie 08), neither recognized my camera. I've tried all types of troubleshooting and such, yet no improvement. I am aware that my camera is not on the list of compatible camera through Imovie 08, but is there anyway around it? I am new to Final Cut Pro 4.5, but it seems that the problem is that I need firewire. But since my Macbook doesn't have it, how can i work around it? Is my camera just not compatible at all to my computer? Is my computer just not compatible with my version of Final Cut Pro 4.5? If that is the case, is there anyway possible that I am able to use Final Cut Pro 4.5? Is there any type of alternative way that I can upload my footage and then transfer the footage to Final Cut? Is there anyway that I can use a USB upload for FCP? What is your best advice for my situation? I'm desperate.

I really don't want to result to buying new software or equipment. Is there any type of solution or partial solution?

Thanks so much,
    -Jennifer M.

2. saveourbrainz thread starter macrumors newbie

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Your camera needs a computer w/FW and FCP 4.5 is running under emulation on your MBP which means performance will not be good and the program might not even work properly.

Lethal