Trouble with Dashboard.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by emseals, Oct 23, 2007.

1. emseals macrumors newbie

When I click to open my dashboard nothing happens.. any ideas on what I can do to fix this? :confused:

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You haven't given us much to work with, so I'll ask some obvious questions:

Do you have active widgets?
    When was the last time it did work?
    What's your computer?
    Does it work from the Dock, or if you tried that first, by pressing F12?

3. emseals thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have active widgets, it worked maybe.... 4 months ago? I havn't really tried opening it since then because I had lost really any desire to use it. I have a Mac Book Pro I bought two years ago and yes I tried it from the dock and I tried pressing F12.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Hmmm... Try going to System Preferences>Dashboard&Exposé and select one of the corners for Dashboard and tell me if it works.

PS: You can't have a 2 year old Macbook Pro, because they only came out last (06) January.

5. MrMoore macrumors 6502

Try deleting the "com.apple.Dock.plist" file in /Users/Yourname/Library/Preferences and then open Terminal. Type the following in terminal:

killall Dock

Press [ENTER]

You might need to re-add any icons you added to the dock as it will go back to the defaults. Since the dock goes back to the default, Dashboard should also work as normal.

Hope this helps. :)

6. Larz0rz macrumors newbie

Similar problem...

I am having problems with Dashboard as well.
    In my case, I click the dock icon/press f12 and the screen goes dark but there are not widgets on the screen.
    If i click the plus sign in the corner and try to drag a widget on, once I release the mouse, Dashboard closes.
    I tried what you just recommended and it still does not work.
    Any ideas?
    (I'm on a MacBook Pro as well, w/Leopard)

7. Larz0rz macrumors newbie

More info...

Also, I realized that the last time I remember Dashboard working was before I partitioned my hard drive for Vista. If Vista is somehow responsible for this problem, it would be the only thing that I have noticed so far. Everything else has been working fine.
    I'm thinking about contacting Apple support if the issue doesn't go away or if I can't find a way to fix it.
    If anyone has any suggestions whatsoever please let me know.
    Thanks.

8. SCStevens04 macrumors member

I too have this problem and responded to someone else's post about the same thing. I don't have Vista so don't know if that's the source.

A common thread between myself and the other user with this problem was that we both had another login ID with parental controls. What about you?

9. Larz0rz macrumors newbie

I did have a Guest account with parental controls.
    I turned the controls off but, as I suspected, it didn't help.
    I don't see how that could be affecting Dashboard but ya never know.
    I think I'll just have to contact Apple and see if they know what's going on.