Trouble with DIY macbook harddrive replacement.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erandall38, Jan 28, 2008.

1. erandall38 macrumors 6502

I am trying to replace a hard drive on a macbook. The macbook had that folder with a question mark jumping up and down. It was a seagate so I am sure it is one of the failing hard drives. We took it to the Apple store and they recommended buying a 3rd party hard drive and installing it.

First when I go the hard drive I realized it had no pull slip (the white paper to help you pull it out)

Now that I have installed the hard drive and put in a leopard disc, it starts up and ask me what language I want.... etc.

But when It gets to "Select a Destination" There is no where for me to click to install Mac OS X.

Why is it not recognizing the new hard drive. Am I missing something?

Thanks

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

what king of install did you choose?? did you format the new hard drive??

3. erandall38 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response.
    I just followed some simple directs from a Apple PDF for Do it your self replacement.

Basically I took the old hard drive out, slid the new one in. Turned the computer on with the leopard disc in.
    Then the first thing that it pops up is the "Use English for the main language" page. I hit next then hit continue to install Mac OSX. Next was the terms of software license agreement which I accepted and then it ask for the destination.

But nothing pops up. Was that helpful?

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

When you boot from the disk, you need to go to Utilities, select Disk Utility, and Partition the Drive (1 partition). The drive you have is formatted as a FAT32, and this won't run OSX. You need to have it set to HFS+.

5. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

there is a option tab (on the bottom of the window if i remember correctly) somewhere where you can specify the type of installation you want to do, you must select 'erase ans install'.

6. Fezzasus macrumors regular

No. There's nothing to erase.

In the menu at the top you need to select disk utility, once running disk utility you have to format the hard disk.

7. Designer1 macrumors member

Just had the exact same problem with a hard drive replacement on a Powerbook. The above posters are correct- you need to format the drive with disk utility. Mine came from OWC and it still needed to be formatted.

8. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

Correct, he must format the new drive.