Trouble with Drive Genius...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nico1, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Nico1 macrumors newbie

I used the "shred" function on Drive Genius to shred free space on my startup drive (booted from a firewire drive to be able to do this with "free space only" activated). I have done this many times before successfully. However, this time when I booted up on my internal startup drive to start working as normal, the disc was full! All the original data was intact (thank God!) but Drive Genius has taken up all the free space, obviously by writing "nothing" wich filled the whole drive (1 Tb). It's supposed to write over free space with "nothing" and leave the space available but this time somehow it filled up the drive...

Any help on this?

Best Regards

Peter from Sweden

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

First, You need a backup before doing any disk maintenance with your mac.

If you have a backup maybe try doing the shred process again? There could have been an error with Drive Genius during the process. A successful shred could free up the space. In most cases, you don't need to erase the free space anyways because it is only for making sure no one can access the data that may has been emptied from the trash but has not been overwritten yet.