Trouble with DVD-RW (MB Pro 1st Gen)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ghanakidd, Dec 14, 2008.

1. ghanakidd macrumors member

I'm hoping for a quick answer to this question (something within the next 12 - 24 hours). So, here goes:

I just transferred a VHS movie (old kung-fu flick) to a "DVD-RW" (manufacturer: Maxell) using a brand new Magnovox VHS/DVD recorder. The burn seems to have worked (burned DVD-RW disc plays back fine on the new machine), but when I put it in to my Macbook Pro for playback (MB Pro Drive is a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857, so we're dealing with 1st Gen), is attempts to read, fails, and kicks it back out.

I been scouring through forums that document similar issues, but still don't have a firm handle on what's going on with this. So, bottom line:

1.) Is there a particular writeable DVD format that works best with Macbook Pros/Apple DVD Drives? If so, what is it?

2. Is there anything special I need to do in order for this to work consistently. I have a mess of VHS tapes I'd like to convert, and then eventually store the DVDs in a video format that easily transfers to an external drive (WMV, MP4, etc.). I can handle everything in the process except getting the burned disc to be recognized by my MB Pro DVD drive.

PLEASE HELP! :confused:

2. -DH macrumors 65816

First make sure the disc is finalized so it will playback in other devices.

Also know that DVD-RW is less compatible than DVD-R or DVD+R.

-DH

3. ghanakidd thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I went the through the finalization process. So, the disc should be finalized (VHS/DVD Recorder menu looks a little different after finalization is complete, so I believe Recorder did it's thing properly).

Guess it's gotta be the disc format then. Assuming so, this problem should correct itself by just going with DVD-R or DVD+R?

4. -DH macrumors 65816

Yes. But stay away from cheap brands of media like Memorex.

-DH

5. ghanakidd thread starter macrumors member

LOL....I might add Maxell to that list. Anyway, thanks. I'll let you know how this goes.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm i have the same problem, except with ALL dvd's and cd's.

i cannot burn nor read blank dvd's/cd's in my 1st gen MBP. i have to use my external burner. i took it into the apple store and they said it will need a new burner, which will set me back around $400. i hope yours isnt dead like mine. why dont you try burning a dvd from the MBP?? see how it goes.

7. ghanakidd thread starter macrumors member

Update....

Amazing....still no luck. Just tried using Sony DVD+R discs. Appears to have burned just fine, but won't playback on the MB MBpro.

FYI -- I've burned DVDs on the MB Pro before, and I have a few burned discs from back in the day that play fine. I don't want to just keep throwing money at the problem until something works.

This can't be that difficult. Replacing the burner just doesn't seem like the solution, but I'm running out of options here.

8. ghanakidd thread starter macrumors member

Update....#2

Okay,

Turns out the final solution to this problem was DVD-R. Plain and simple -- seems to be the most compatible format. Might have helped that I bought the brand (Verbatim) from a Mac store near me, but I doubt that was the true solution. Just DVD-R itself was the answer.