Trouble with fax receiving on my macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by col0110, Dec 30, 2008.

1. col0110 macrumors newbie

Please help. I am trying to set up my macbook to receive faxes. It is all very simple to follow and I believe I have carefully done what the "help" tells me.
    Basically
    plug in a live telephone line to the mac.
    Add your telephone line fax number.
    In preferences add a fax machine (this comes up as default "blue tooth" by the way...)
    Set receive preferences (send copy to a folder or print etc)

However when I dial the number it just gives the engaged/busy tone.
    When trying to send a fax it says waiting for modem availability.

Do I need to change modem settings or something and how do I do this..
    Sorry to sound stupid but I am confused..! THANK YOU ANYONE:

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Do you already have the Apple USB modem? A newer MacBook system lacks an appropriate port with which to hook up a standard phone line.

3. col0110 thread starter macrumors newbie

fax problem

Thank you. I have a slot to connect the phone line right next to the power magnetic jack plug. I do not have the gadget you mention. My version is Macbook OS.X 10.5.6 2.2 GHz

4. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Is this a newer macbook? What model of macbook do you have? Not the OS version you had mentioned.

The jack that your plugging up to is an ethernet jack (rj45 plug). Phones, and faxes use a regular phone jack an (rj11 plug). It is slightly smaller then the rj45 jack. A phone cord will fit in an ethernet plug, although it wont fit snug. It will wobble inside the plug. If your phone cord fits in and it is loose/wobbly then you have an rj45 jack, which is ethernet, and you would need the above mentioned modem.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

6. col0110 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. The jack fits quite snugly but will wobble a little. The macbook I bought second hand about 6 months ago and the owner told me it was less than a year old, however who knows? I had assumed this was the latest version but likely not. I would imagine you are correct and that I need this gadget. Thank you for your help. My computer tells me it is a :

MacBook3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

7. rtpub macrumors member

rtpub

I'd believe yours doesn't come with a RJ-11 jack... I once saw someone plugged in a USB device into that jack ... :D

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No MacBook comes with a built-in modem. You need to purchase a USB Modem.

You can find more information on your particular model of Mac on Apple's tech specs page.

9. col0110 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your guidance.