Trouble with Gmail IMAP on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Josh784, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Josh784, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. macr88 macrumors newbie

why don't you just use the default method?
    It works great for me and I have all my added folders.

3. brian5 macrumors member

brian5

I agree. Just use the default GMail setup that is already on the iPhone. No problems with that.

4. jakeacc macrumors regular

Google recommmends using their process as opposed to the default Gmail "Add Account" option on the iPhone. (due to how the default settings delete messages instead of archiving)

I followed the the Google Help Center instructions as well as watched their YouTube tutorial and was able to get my account set up successfully. However, when I try to SEND an email via my iPhone, I get an "Connection to smtp.gmail.com failed" error. Not sure what went wrong.

5. Stalban macrumors newbie

Fetch is the only option for gmail on the iphone. You either have to manually check or set it to check at various intervals.

6. macr88 macrumors newbie

IMAP has nothing to do with fetch.
    Fetch and push are the two different methods for the way the phones gets mail from the server. Push has the mail server push the mail to the phone and fetch will either check for mail at a specified interval or manualy. Gmail doesn't support push as far as I know at this time.

7. fishballer macrumors member

on a somewhat related (but not really) question, how reliable is the fetch? i set it for every hour, but when i wake up in the morning, the iphone shows no new messages when in realty there's a whole bunch of emails. I have to manually get them.

am i the only one with this problem?

thanks.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

Gmail DOES support push via IMAP IDLE, but unfortunately the iPhone doesn't do the same. The new mail.app (v3.4) now supports IMAP IDLE, and it works great; I get my gmail emails as soon as they come in, not when mail.app does a fetch. I wish they would add the same to the iPhone.

9. Josh784 thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed, a friend has push Gmail on her Blackberry, and it works perfectly. If Apple weren't trying to cash in on Mobile Me, I'm sure push Gmail would already be on the iPhone :rolleyes:

10. nycgirl macrumors newbie

I am having this same problem -- for the past week or so on the new 3G phone. Does anyone have a solution? I've heard that you can create a shadow Yahoo account (that will push rather than fetch) but I'm not sure about doing that as it's a POP account rather than IMAP.

Any suggestions/ideas about the IMAP error would be great.
    Thanks.

11. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

works with wifi but not with 3G

Anyone also experiencing this? Any known solution?

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

gmail works in wifi but fails in 3G

Anyone else experiencing this? Any known solution?

13. AlphaBob macrumors regular

AlphaBob

gmail works great for me with imap...

Looking at the settings I have (via settings/mail/ then picking my gmail account):

Name (my name)
    Address (my gmail account like xyz@gmail.com)
    Password
    Description (whatever makes sense to you)

Outgoing Mail server smtp.gmail.com

Advanced has the following:
    Use SSL ON
    Authentication Password
    IMAP Path prefix
    Server Port 993

That said, I deleted the above account and used the settings/mail/Add Account button and picked the GMail choice. After answering a few questions I had a IMAP connection that was running. No manual configuration was required, nor did I use any Google app or info.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Because Google says that doing that changes the way archiving and deleting messages works from the way it's supposed to work.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather things work the way they're supposed to.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77702

15. TheJoker macrumors newbie

Has there been any progress on GMail and IMAP IDLE? My IMAP email accounts work as advertised except for the IDLE part (a.k.a IMAP "push"). It only checks for new emails when I open up the email client. This is annoying as it works perfectly on my Mac, my Nokia N800 and my SonyEricsson K850i. On the K850i it even works so well that the phone sometimes buzzes a second or two before the Mail.app on my desktop shows new email.
    This should work on the iPhone (especially as there's Yahoo Mail that does push).

16. sarahcross macrumors newbie

Password and Username wrong

I've gone three months without a problem and all of a sudden my gmail (set up through the phone's default) will not connect. It says "incorrect username or password)

I've removed the account and readded it with the correct info...that is verified on my computer. Soo...what now. My username and password are the same that i'm inputting in gmail on the computer.

Is this an IMAP issue?

17. Josephway macrumors newbie

The default setting is reasonable!

It's a reasonable choice!

18. sparky7 macrumors member

I access gmail from my iphone using activesync, selecting the exchange option and then using the server m.google.com. Not sure if normal gmail accounts can use this because I use google apps with my own domain..

Actually looks like you can:

http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sync.html#p=apple