trouble with Handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TrulyYuki, Mar 4, 2010.

1. TrulyYuki macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

Hello, new to MacRumers. Always browsed, never joined until today.
    Here's the story, just got my old black macbook replaced with a new white macbook (big cry for no firewire!) my old mac couldn't be fixed so they replaced it (big yea!).
    I never had an issue with Handbrake before but since I got a new machine I downloaded Handbrake 64bit and VLC 64bit and I just cannot get it to rip my DVD. I had it ripped previously all on my external but no way to get the contents of my external hard drive at this time and darn it I gotta have my twilight on my phone (sad i know) but that also goes for my Fifth Element. It scans the source, then I set the quality to 100% because I want it in the highest quality and when I begin the ripping process it takes less than 30 seconds and says done. Which is such BS because it isn't. How the heck do I fix this. I'm not a software guru. Repairing Macs is my thing.
    Any help here is greatly appreciated. 

2. SMP 4JC macrumors newbie

the 64 bit version is got issues. just use the 32bit versions of both handbrake and vlc and you wont have any problems. :D

3. TrulyYuki thread starter macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

4. TrulyYuki thread starter macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

tried it with 32bit for both, same issue.

5. bcrguy macrumors regular

i take it you are running snow leopard right?? i just bought a new uMBP and have had handbrake and vlc running np..

try doing an update of handbrake and vlc (the "software update" does not look for updated for 3rd party stuff) and install the updates.. then try running it again..

try running on a lower quality as well (to test) i usually have my tvshows at 500 MB per episode and dvd's at 1GB (depending on what it is, sometimes more).. try that and see if its an improvement..

if it still dosent work try using mac the ripper to get the audio and video files then use that as the source in handbrake to encode..

6. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Are you using the preset? at the top right of the window press presets, and use the Apple universal preset.

7. bcrguy macrumors regular

i think hes having issues with ripping itself not playback..

8. happygareth macrumors newbie

Issues with VLC

I am using the 64 bit version of Handbrake (0.9.4) but I have had problems ripping with anything over 1.0.2 (64 bit) for VLC . So I stick to that version. The 64 bit combination seems to work fine for me.

9. TrulyYuki thread starter macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

Everything is up to date. And I have tried with lower Quality. Again within seconds it tells me "put down that cocktail...blah, blah, blah." And yes, i'm on snow leopard. I just got this thing.

10. TrulyYuki thread starter macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

She's having issues with ripping. When it plays back a green screen with bunch of video distortion.

11. TrulyYuki thread starter macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

someone want to direct me to another source, NOT handbrake? I'm seriously peeved. I wonder if has anything to do with the new optical drive... or maybe I'm just retarded.

12. Miamifan1354 macrumors member

Can't get some new stuff to work with Handbrake. Got one to work, but next two won't go. Is there new protection that handbrake can't get around yet?

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Try to rip the disk in MacTheRipper first and then encode in HB. Probably there's some problem with protection.

14. ppoi38 macrumors newbie

Use this to rip

Tio fix your ripping problem:
    I have been using RipIt now for 2 years - it is flawless. I always use freeware, but could never find a perfect freeware to rip. MactheRipper gave me problems with many dvds. RipIt is $20 and is well worth it.
    http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/