Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
This past Monday when I went to use my Airpods I found that my right one was not working. At first I thought that it was dead on power, however I checked and it was just fine. I then discovered that if I put the right one in my ear first and started the music it worked, but as soon as I put my left pod in, the right one would stop working. So when I got home from work I tried them on my Mac and my iPad and they worked just fine. I even tried it on my husbands iPhone X and they both worked. So I went to the Apple support chat and she asked if I had done the latest upgrade. I had not, so I did and still the right pod would not work. Then she suggested I restore my phone to factory settings. I had a recent backup from the early morning of that day. I was just about to do it and I chickened out. She then made a genius bar appointment for me for this coming Sunday. So today I'm asking if 1. anyone else has had this happen? 2. Does anyone know how to fix it without restoring your phone.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
I had a similar situation with my left air pod. Try this:

Use a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol

Clean the connection at the bottom of the air pod

Clean the connection at the bottom of the case where the air pod makes contact.

dry both items and attempt a charge.

I used the above steps and the air pod charged back up afterward.

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
I had a similar situation with my left air pod. Try this:

Use a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol

Clean the connection at the bottom of the air pod

Clean the connection at the bottom of the case where the air pod makes contact.

dry both items and attempt a charge.

I used the above steps and the air pod charged back up afterward.
Unfortunately the problem is not with the pod. It would appear to be my phone.

EOD_Operator

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
Disconnect your AirPods from your phone and reconnect. You can accomplish this in the Bluetooth menu under settings.

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
Why do you assume it's a phone problem and not an airpod problem? I'd assume the opposite.

Because they work just fine with all other apple devices. Including resetting and using on my husband's iPhone X and they worked perfectly. Apple support said so as well. Which is why I now have a genius appt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.