Trouble with iPod audio

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Derkatwork, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

My brother has an iPod touch 3rd gen (except it's the 8gb variant). When plugging head phones into the iPod, there is no audio on the left side. Troubleshooting with other sets all produce no audio in the left side. The speakers on the iPod itself are fine though. Are there any suggestions to try? The iPod itself is out of warranty obviously, but we were hoping a solution could exist without replacing the unit. Thanks for the help.

2. YEEZY macrumors member

I have the same problem. Try cleaning the headphone jack?

Get a Q Tip and rip most of cotton off the end and get some rubbing alcohol (the higher the %, the better) and twist it in the jack to see if you get any gunk out. I got a lot out, but I still had the problem. It's funny because I got the problem after plugging in some bad headphones in I guess. The speakers work fine too, so I'm pretty sure it's just your jack.

3. jonrando macrumors 6502a

I don't suggest putting any type of liquid in / on your iDevice. It could cause water damage.

4. YEEZY macrumors member

Well, if you're already out of solutions, this could be the last one. And it's not exactly water. It might harm the device, but if you want to take the risk and fix it, why not. It's already out of warranty. Don't slather the device with the alcohol, just make sure you dip the Q-tip to get enough of it. There's another topic here about the same issue, and I'm telling you, it works.

5. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

6. irishtike macrumors member

i have had the same problem on both my 2nd gen and my 4th gen. i find that getting a pair of Bluetooth headphones and using the dock connector as much as possible is the only way of playing music besides buying a new one. look on amazon for bluetooth headphones. i found a good pair for about $25.