Trouble with MacBook after ram upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Flyers1718, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Flyers1718, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014

Flyers1718 macrumors member

Jun 9, 2007
    I recently upgraded the ram in my mid 2012 MacBook Pro from 4 gb to 16 gb. Everything was fine for about two days until I switched tabs in chrome and the mouse just disappeared and never came back. I restarted and got the flashing question mark folder. After a few try's it booted but after a few minutes did the same thing. I tried putting resetting the pram but couldn't get the sound so I don't think that worked I also tried putting in the old ram and am still getting the flashing question mark every time I boot.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks !
  2. Flyers1718 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 9, 2007
    It seems odd the he'd would fail right after I installed new ram. I followed the steps on that page and when I hold option on startup I get the drive untitled when I chose it to startup it goes straight to the flashing question mark.

Any ideas?
  3. simonsi macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2014
    It didn't, it was fine for 2 days. 2 days is forever in computing terms so highly likely just coincidence.
  4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    The flashing question mark means that there's something awry with your startup drive. Did you knock loose the SATA cable from the drive by accident? I don't think that's possible because you'd need to take apart the bracket holding the drive.

Anyway, it sounds like a drive failure. Boot into the recovery partition if you can and try checking the drive for errors.