Trouble with Mapped Network Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nope7308, Feb 1, 2014.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I've created an SMB connection between my PC (Windows 8.1) and Macbook Pro (OS X 10.9).

I have set the correct permissions and the file sharing works fine, but I'm having issues connecting from the Macbook Pro (sort of). I have a desktop shortcut for the shared drive/folder, and when I double click the desktop shortcut the shared folder opens up as it should.

Now, I added that desktop shortcut to the dock (drag/drop), but the shared drive/folder doesn't open from the dock at all. When I click it, nothing happens. When I right click and select open, nothing happens. I don't know why I can access the folder via the desktop shortcut, but not the dock shortcut. Since I dragged/dropped the shortcut into the dock, shouldn't the behaviour be identical?

Help?

2. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

I found a workaround by creating a folder alias and then dragging that to the dock instead.

However, I'm having some issues now with OS X remembering the login credentials. I added the shared network drive/folder to my start menu via the Users & Groups in System Preferences. I also checked the 'Hide' box, so that the computer connects to the shared drive/folder on startup, but doesn't open it in finder. At least that's what I want it to do...

When I start the computer, it prompts me for the login credentials for the shared drive/folder, even though I already saved them. It then opens the folder in finder, even though I have the hide box checked in System Preferences. I verified in Keychain Access that I only have one set of credentials for the shared drive/folder saved, so can someone please explain why this is happening and how I can correct it? Thanks.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I found if you use the same Time Server on the Mac as you have on the Windows 8.1 box (if you connect to that box often). Try to use a neutral time server for both machines to see if that helps.