Trouble with Migration

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slunky, Jan 22, 2011.

1. slunky macrumors newbie

Bought a new iMac and used it for awhile before trying to get all my stuff over from my old one. Using Migration Assistant in firewire mode, all I get is a folder of all my contents in Finder on the new iMac. It won't update my new existing Home account. What do I do? Thanx in advance

2. Damo01 macrumors regular

What exactly did you use to backup all of your stuff?

3. slunky thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm transferring everything straight from my old iMac

4. slunky thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll mention that my Home short name on my old iMac is not the same as my Home short name on my new iMac, if that makes any difference

5. Damo01, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

Damo01 macrumors regular

using what? Time Machine? Carbon Copy Cloner?

Never mind. When you're going through the Migration Assistant, you selected everything to be transferred and it turned out you got a folder with everything on it on your new computer?

6. slunky thread starter macrumors newbie

That's correct, a Folder of all the contents of my Home account from my old iMac. I put the old iMac in Firewire mode and used Migration Assistant on the new one. All the applications from my old iMac ended up in the new iMac's Applications and seem to work fine, but Apps such as Safari did not update with my old bookmarks, iTunes did not update with the old library; iPhoto, same thing. Do I/Can I delete the new Home account on the new iMac and if so, how?

7. Damo01 macrumors regular

Sorry, from my understanding at first, which sound strange to me, but this what the migration assistant did. migration assistant created a folder and puts the transferred stuff into it, rather than putting the transfer stuff into the exact same location where there should be transferred to .

I'm not sure how I can help you with that.